Sunday, March 18, 2012

Who Needs Marriage, Anyway? Three reasons I don't feel like I need to be married right now.


It's springtime, everyone! You know, the time when flowers are in bloom, babies are born and the dawn of wedding season has sprung. I mean, seriously, everybody on my Facebook is posting pictures of their brand new babies, shiny rings and those oh-so-glamorous black and white wedding pictures with the random pop of color inserted. How could a girl avoid the feverish womb and wedding envy that's bound to ensue? Well, while I can't deny that I'm obsessed with the  "first comes love, then comes marriage" (along with the subsequent baby carriage) ideal, I prefer to look at it from the societal aspect rather than the supposed ticking time bomb that is my youth. Isn't that what this is all about anyway, wedlock and babies and whatnot? Which brings me to the first reason on my list:


1. I am not in a hurry to have a baby. Furthermore, who said marriage increases the chances of a successful pregnancy and a happy, well-taken-care-of child if the parents are already in a long-term committed relationship? I mean, really?  He's free to go before, during and after the process. To paraphrase everyone's favorite joke of a real housewife from Atlanta, a ring doesn't guarantee a thing. Therefore, I don't focus on it as though it is the cornerstone of my relationship. Bonus points if you already knew that babies aren't a cure-all for relationship woes, like it's not already stressful enough being in my late 20s and fresh out of college. There are enough newborns on Facebook to quell any alarms going off in my ovaries. All those little fingers and faces that are indistinguishable make me just wanna say "Aww, look at those little feet" so I can avoid offending a parent if I don't find their baby adorable. Onward!

2. I just decided on what I'm going to do with my life. Even that choice may not be set in stone. I want to have the option of traveling the world without feeling like I'm abandoning my newly found marital bliss. Not to mention that once we're married, the financial situation is bound to change and that freedom may be more difficult to come by. At this point in both our lives, we know that our prospective career paths might lead us to opposite ends of the country or even the earth.  That would be more stress as a newlywed couple.

3. Why does it really matter?  The original purpose of marriage was more about financial security. People married out of survival. It's still that way in many countries around the world-- hey, give a man a goat, you can marry his daughter. Everybody wins!  I  kid, but  honestly, this whole idea of romantic love has got us messed up. Love at first sight is all well and good, but what happens when the infatuation period wears off? Will you still want the person? Will those habits that you initially found endearing start to get on your nerves, particularly if you never lived with the person? These days, I see marriage as more of a companionship.The only thing that would change in our relationship is my last name and that's not even guaranteed. I stare convention in the face and dare it to come after me. I like my name, is that a crime?Additionally, we already live together with joint bills and a dog. We make decisions together, we take care of each other. If love is truly unconditional, why does a ring have to be attached?

I believe in marriage and its sanctity, I just don't believe that many others consider what it means. Marriage used to be about a lifelong commitment to each other but now, one can change their spouse with no real qualms. What do you think? Is marriage more than a social institution? Leave me a comment below.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More